Delicious Grilled Cheese Toastie
- Servings: 1 people
- 50g Blue Cow Premium Butter Unsalted
- 1/2 eschalot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (90g) finely chopped Swiss brown mushrooms
- 1 tbs thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbs Maggie Beer Verjuice or white wine
- 1/2 tsp truffle oil
- 150g Wyke Cheddar Mature, plus 2 tbs grated
- 2 slices white bread
- 100g sliced Castel Regio Taleggio DOP Taleggio, rind removed
Elevate your toastie with our favourite grilled cheese recipe.
- Melt 20g butter in a small frypan over medium heat. Add eschalot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the mushroom and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then add the thyme and verjuice and cook for a further 1 minute or until liquid has completely reduced.
- Stir in truffle oil and season. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place cheddar on one slice of bread. Top with the mushroom mixture and Taleggio. Season, then sandwich with the remaining slice of bread.
- Melt remaining 30g butter in a small frypan over medium-low heat. Carefully place the sandwich in the pan and cook without turning, for 3 minutes or until base is golden. Remove from pan.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar evenly in the centre of the frypan, then place the sandwich, untoasted-side down, over the cheese (this has to be done quickly to ensure the cheese will stick to the outside of the toastie and form a wonderful crust).
- Cook for a further 3 minutes or until golden, adding more butter if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Cut in half and sprinkle with extra thyme leaves and salt flakes to serve.
Share this recipe: